Thank you for your interest in helping animals through serving on the board of directors of Almost Home Humane Society.
The Almost Home Board Nominating Committee is conducting a search for individuals to serve on the board of directors. The information below explains the goals and process for this search and the appointment of new board members.
If you have any questions, please reach out by emailing our board president:
Rhonda Fitchett at firstname.lastname@example.org
Almost Home Humane Society’s Mission
Almost Home provides an essential safety net to vulnerable cats and dogs in North Central Iowa. The Mission of Almost Home is to be a refuge for lost, unwanted and abandoned cats and dogs; To educate our community about responsible pet ownership, respect and compassionate care of all living things; and To find forever homes for every pet lucky enough to find themselves “Almost Home.”
About the Board of Directors
The board of directors is responsible for:
· Maintaining Almost Home as an autonomous animal rescue organization with an established mission.
· Communicating the mission of the organization to the broader community and assuring opportunities for the community to take part in furthering the mission.
· Determining and carrying out the policies and practices for the organization.
· Insuring the policies and practices reflect the Almost Home Humane Society of North Central Iowa’s commitment to rescue, shelter and placement of homeless cats and dogs and the humane treatment of all animals.
· Controlling operating funds and capital assets for the use and benefit of the Almost Home Humane Society of North Central Iowa.
· Assuming final responsibility for personnel policies and for staffing policies.
· Any and all board members shall be allowed the right to review materials including legal documents referring to the board and its members prior to the release of any or all information. Upon receiving any or all materials including legal documents regarding the board and its members, Almost Home shall release it to the president. The president shall then present the information to the board and its members.
Serving on the Almost Home Board of Directors is only one of several meaningful ways to get involved with the organization and to support animals. In addition to a commitment to helping animals, board members are expected to participate in ensuring that adequate financial resources are available for the organization to do its work and that it becomes financially sustainable. This includes making personal contributions as well as helping with fundraising in a meaningful way.
Recruitment and Selection Process
The board recruitment and selection process is a planned effort with specific steps designed to help ensure the organization attracts and maintains a high level of volunteer leadership.
The board member recruitment and selection process is as follows:
Criteria for Selection of Almost Home Board Members
While the following criteria are not the only factors that will be considered in the selection of board members, they are some of the most significant ones. While every candidate is not expected to possess all of these skills, the goal is to create a team of board members that together possess the skills necessary to successfully lead Almost Home:
Primary Functions of the Board of Directors
The primary functions of nonprofit boards are:
Board members are expected to:
If you are interested in serving on the board, please complete the Almost Home Board of Directors Application and email it to email@example.com.
Other volunteer leadership opportunities: If the board commitment is greater than you are looking for right now, there are other opportunities for volunteer leadership within the organization. We would be happy to plan a call with you to discuss this further in the near future. To request this call, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Other opportunities include the following:
· Foster Family – Foster homes provide a temporary safe place for some of our most vulnerable cats and dogs to rest and heal. Foster families also care for kittens and puppies until they are old and big enough for adoption.
· Volunteer Coordinator – Would be in charge of organizing and maintaining the volunteer program. Orientations, tours of the facility, training, scheduling, act as a liason between volunteers and staff.
· Fur Ball Committee – Our biggest fundraiser is an annual silent/live auction event ranging from different forms of entertainment for a night out. Preparations for this include asking for silent/live auction donations, publicity, creating flyers and tickets, gathering prizes for raffles or door prizes, creating bid sheets, recruiting people to help us that night, and plans as to how the night will end and get cleaned up.
If you are interested in becoming a member of the Board of Directors of Almost Home, please send a completed application and résumé via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with Almost Home Board Member Application in the subject line. If you have questions, please email them to this same address.
Copyright © 2019 Almost Home Humane Society of North Central Iowa - All Rights Reserved.